Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Sunday, February 12, 2012

SSS: The Party's Over

The bank of the Arlanzón River in 2005, more than 1000 years after the events in this novel.
Thanks so much for the comments and visits last week! I enjoyed your snippets, too!

Although the wedding celebrations were expected to continue for several more weeks, the tragic events in Chapter 5 of The Seven Noble Knights of Lara have called everything to a halt. This segment comes a few sentences after last week's.

* * *

When doña Lambra was ready, they left the tent. Justa went to fetch the other maidens and her lady looked down the riverbank. For five weeks it had been festooned with tents and banners and people in all manner of occupations. Now, the multitudes that had arrived in Burgos with such pomp for the wedding festivities had quietly dispersed over the last three days, returning to their own lands. Each morning a few more of the man-made features had disappeared, until finally the entire bank was plucked bald. All that remained as evidence of the merriment was a lamentable groove in the dust where men and horses had proven their worth against a wooden castle. 

* * *

Don't forget to check out all the other wonderful sentences at Six Sentence Sunday. Thanks so much for stopping by and helping inspire me as I try to finish this novel.

16 comments:

  1. Great imagery! I could see the scene perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's so sad. I can really feel a sense of defeat. Definitely want to know how the characters rally from this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really get a sense of time in these six.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a descriptive six this week. I feel like I'm right there. Great six.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful job with the description! Great SSS :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed--really great description. After how her wedding went, this almost seems so sad. I just feel so bad for her. Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very evocative descriptions of the wooden castle, only left as a dent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely description! Great six :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The description is wonderful in these six!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was going to say don't you hate picking up after a party? Then I realized I'd really missed something important during my two weeks away. Must go back and read about the tragedy! Reading it that way, it was a very poignant six!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great imagery and detail. Really brings the reader into the time period. Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went back and read what I'd missed. Great descriptive details, and I enjoyed what you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic imagery. :-)

    ReplyDelete