Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Sunday, July 29, 2012

SSS: Those Talking Rhinos

Suzanne and Jake on a good day.
This Sunday, I'd like to draw attention to a story I wrote in January of 2011 and haven't been able to publish yet. I would really like people to be able to read this story. Cross your fingers that someone who publishes stories "gets" it soon!

The excerpt is from "Not Extinct Yet." Human researchers Suzanne and Derek are talking with their favorite crash of rhinos about new approaches to the poaching problem. Sasha is the matriarch white rhino and Jake is her young son.

* * * 


“It’s an education program you need,” said Derek.
“Precisely,” agreed Sasha. “Let the consumers know that the product they pay so much for has no real value.”
“Oh!” said Suzanne in the throes of a forming idea. “We need to let them know that rhino horns have no more medicinal value than…”
“Than chewing your own fingernails!” finished Jake. 


* * *

One of the journals I submitted to made the strange assumption that the talking rhinos were stand-ins for some human issue. I'm not trying to be metaphorical, I swear! I gave that up years ago! The rhinos represent rhinos. I wanted to give them a voice, and as an author, it was easy enough to do.

Thanks so much for stopping by! Check out the other great snippets at Six Sentence Sunday. If these rhinos have piqued your interest, please have a look at my review of The Last Rhinos and a suggestion for how you can help if you are so inclined (don't feel obliged).

11 comments:

  1. Without reading more, I can't tell if the talking rhinos work or not. I can say that based on this six, the interaction seems solid and the dialogue has a nice rhythm. Good luck with the future of this story. I'm sure some publication will snap it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's definitely an interesting and fun idea. Fingers crossed for you!! Nice six!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the whole idea of this. I loved the last line. Hope you share more of this story! Great six.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. I'll be looking for more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting and unique. I hope the rhinos find a home they can be proud of. Good luck with the story! Love the dialogue exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting premise. I wish you all the best in getting this story out for the world to see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly, I would love to read this story!! Fantastic six, and I hope this gets published....I want to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you're successful. Save the rhinos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked your six sentence sunday. I just posted mines check it out. http://www.soniawrites.com/2012/07/six-sentence-sunday-brushing-teeth.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember this story and am surprised it's not published yet. Have you thought of self-publishing it? Your six are fabulous. They are all so excited and enthusiastic. They really come alive.

    ReplyDelete