Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Monday, March 19, 2012

The Greatest Film of All Time

Great movies on an unusual weather day in Arizona

It's been 25 years since The Princess Bride came out in theatres, and luckily for people of discerning taste, it occasionally shows up in theatres again. I saw it when it first came out, and I was at just the right age to be deeply impressed. I wonder how my life would be different if the movie hadn't made it to the screen exactly at that moment. Would I have latched on to something else? Or drifted through a sad, jaded life?

Is there any piece of media -- book or movie -- that has influenced your life so strongly that you will never forget it?


The Princess Bride has influenced my reading choices, my writing style, and my life choices ever since. I read the book ten times in the year I was fourteen and took the whole thing deadly seriously. I now appreciate the humor and plain silliness on display especially in the masterful comedic performances of the actors in the movie. Because of this story, I value silliness (as well as princesses and Spaniards) much more than anyone even really should.

My husband and I went to see the showing at our art house cinema this weekend. The outside of the building didn't impress me, but walking inside was just like the old-time theatres in the small towns where I grew up. The posters everywhere, the fliers of coming events, the community feel and the smell of popcorn! The front row of the auditorium was red leather couches, so of course we sat there, moving pillows around freely and getting as comfortable as at home. Then the show started, and it was on what looked like an original, unrestored, nitrate print, with blotches and the occasional glitch in scene change.

Thank you, Loft Cinema, for making me feel like I was back in 1987! It was even better than the original release, because I had my true love at my side. Bliss, bliss.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. Recently, while researching musicals, I came across the old (older than dirt) version of Cinderella. It starred Leslie Ann Warren. That did make me wonder about what you have posted here. I think that I was deeply influenced at a very young age by the story. Impossible things can happen, and that there is something beautiful and magical when they do.

    ReplyDelete