Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Sunday, January 20, 2013

SSS and Call For Historical Authors

Welcome to one of the final Six Sentence Sundays! Please visit the official site for more wonderful snippets than you can handle.

I've been sharing bits from my medieval epic, The Seven Noble Knights of Lara. Six revised sentences from the very important chapter where everything starts to go to hell are below. There was a lot of concern over the horse portions. Please tell me if this is any more realistic than before (first draft here). And keep reading after the snippet for an idea for all my historical novelist pals!

* * *

Gonzalo drove his fist into Don Álvar’s face so hard that he collapsed at the feet of his horse, which reared with an almost human shriek. With nowhere else to land in the crush of people, its sharp hooves came down on its rider’s flesh. It reared again and again in terror and confusion as knights and pages darted under it, trying to pull Don Álvar to safety. Finally Muño Salido seized the reins and led the horse, still kicking, away. Don Álvar’s teeth bounced and rolled on the soft earth or landed on people’s pointed shoes like fallen pebbles. Shining blood sprouted from his body and raced outward, covering the ground with a steaming red plague.
 
* * *

Now that the official SSS is nearly over, I've been wondering if it would be a good idea to start a new, more specialized blog hop, for those authors in the audience who write historical fiction. Historical would be defined as fiction that takes place in a time before the author was born. Would you hystericals -- I mean, historicals -- like to hop around the centuries and share short excerpts of your work? Please comment below if you're interested in participating, and I'll ask around, too. Results of this question and full details will appear next Sunday.

Thanks for stopping by! Thanks for Six Sentence Sunday! And thanks for your comments and ideas!

11 comments:

  1. Fabulous description! A well written scene! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely be interested. Two of my novels are set in different periods of Early American history. Twist of Fate is set on the Western Frontier in the early 1700s and Troubled Times takes place during the Civil War era. My email is gaymingram@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, Gay! I'll start a list, but tune in next Sunday for sure.

      Delete
  3. Not being a horse expert, this sure seemed vivid and plausible to me. Very graphic six inagoodway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Veronica! I put a lot of effort into it.

      Delete
  4. I thought your excerpt was excellent! As a horse person I didn't see anything wrong with it. Well done!

    It's such a shame that SSS is stopping. :( I write historical type fiction, heavy on the fantasy side though and definitely on the risque side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the hop will be open to fantasy and risque will certainly be accepted! Please check back next Sunday for the lowdown.

      Delete
  5. Hi,

    Intriguing and gut-twisting excerpt. Damn dangerous place to be beneath flailing hoovss.

    Fabulous idea for a blog hop. More than willing to oblige!

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Francine! I hope to "see" you at the hop signups next week.

      Delete