Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Sunday, January 13, 2013

SSS: A New Fiancé

The cover of the program of an academic congress about the medieval epic poem upon which The Seven Noble Knights of Lara is based.
For today's excerpt of my revisions of The Seven Noble Knights of Lara, I thought I'd do something new and give you a dialogue-heavy snippet. It's still the first chapter, and the Count of Castile, Doña Lambra's cousin, has come to tell her he's going to marry her off to his most valuable vassal. She is none too pleased.

* * *


“He’s completed his thirty-fifth year.”
She couldn’t help but wring her hands at the thought of a grey beard and broken teeth, worms sprouting out of every orifice. Maybe he wouldn’t live that long, then she would administer all the territory they had between them.
“Is he landed?”
“He has a few parcels in the region of Lara, called Vilviestre.”
“A few parcels?”


* * *

That's not the last piece of her mind she's going to give him!

Thanks so much stopping by! I trade comments for comments! Get a lot more wonderful excerpts today at SixSunday.com.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope he turns out to be different from what she expects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, love her vision of what he must be like at the creaky old age of 35 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Jessica, he's quite different from this vision... but by the end the reader may wish a much worse fate on Lambra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE how she pictures him. However, I just happen to be 35 and shall now put my head in a bucket and cry, lol. Fab six!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It amuses me, too, to write from her 15-year-old POV -- I'm 37 now!

      Delete
  5. Interesting. I'm certainly hoping along with Angela that this 35 year old turns out to be pretty dashing! Fun six!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 33 now, and the idea of being 35 still somehow seems old to me! Although back then, 35 probably seemed a lot older than it does today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to find this work again! I too hope her vision of this 35 year old is a bit off. :) I can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete