Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Six Sentences More on the Ill-Fated Wedding

THANK YOU to those of you who enjoyed my clippings the previous two weeks. Your comments are tremendously flattering, and it's nice to know I'm reaching readers, which is my greatest hope. I do my very best to comment on all of your wonderful sentences, too. I hope you'll enjoy this snippet, which comes right after last week's. Here I'm trying to achieve a balance between specificity and speed...

* * *

Ruy Blásquez took Lambra's shaking hands in his and looked into her wild eyes. She wrenched her hands away from him and shouted, pointing at Gonzalo, "Do something! Are you my husband by these nuptials or not?"

Doña Sancha shouted, "Brother! He's your nephew!"

While Gonzalo was looking at his mother, Ruy Blásquez struck him across the face with the sharp end of the lance. He fell onto his seat and blood streamed from a single streak that started on his cheek and went diagonally up the bridge of his nose to the opposite eyebrow.

* * *

More from The Seven Noble Knights of Lara next Sunday, but only if the comments demand it. I've been distracted from it lately, so I'm starting to run out of story!

Check out the other participants here! And have fun!

If you like my writing, and you like stories about women, please consider checking out my new short story collection Threads Woven. Thanks!

32 comments:

  1. Great six. I was really drawn in. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much blood and strife! Another awesome six!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, rough stuff - nice six

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah! Love the conflict here. Nice six!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, this is a hell of a wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh heck... what a wedding! Another fab six xx love it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weddings DO bring out drama. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! You've created a brutal world and done it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the bloodiest wedding I've ever attended! Great drama and I love her demand of the new husband to do something! Please continue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great drama! Loving this wild wedding. Yes - more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, they are the original dysfunctional family. Love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So tense and at such an unexpected setting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your snippets are always so intense!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...so much blood at this party... probably not the wedding she hoped for :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like there's trouble in paradise and they've barely been married.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love a story with blood and gore. Terrifically gruesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the most violent wedding I've ever been too! Intense six.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great depiction of drama, very intense.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So much conflict! I feel so bad for her! Great six.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So much tension and conflict! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ow! So much for a white weeding - this is definitely in shades of red.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The drama of this wedding will be legend!

    ~Xakara
    Dawn's Early Light 6SS

    ReplyDelete
  23. All hell's breaking loose! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such drama!! This is my first week with SSS, heading to read the parts before!

    ReplyDelete