Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Friday, July 8, 2011

Weather Updates

July third, at about 10 pm, my husband and I got to watch a monsoon burst together. We were joined by an Arizona native:
He was objectively three inches long.

On the fourth, my husband had to go to work for a few hours in the afternoon, so I had to watch this one by myself. It's hard to hear over such pattering, but there's thunder throughout this video.

Feeling soaked yet? We aren't. Even with bursts like this, which last about 30 minutes, the ground is mostly dry in three hours. Astounding place, this Arizona. We've been lucky because we haven't suffered from power outages resulting from falling trees, and we're nowhere near a place where landslides would be a problem. My husband had to take a different route home, because his usual road goes right through a "wash," basically a channel like a dry riverbed kept clear to collect all this water and send it out to sea, carrying silt, trees, and unlucky travelers with it. My main thought is: Hooray for Mother Nature, for making this place unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment