Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Things That Set My Heart Aflutter, Review Edition

Every once in a while, I remember to go to Amazon and find out how Tree/House is doing. There seems to be a large element of synchronicity to my checking, because I always seem to do it when there happens to be a new review up! I found this one in April and felt tremendously flattered:

4.0 out of 5 stars Left me wanting more!April 14, 2011
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Tree/House (Kindle Edition)
This is a wonderful short read. The story is written in a unique style with unusual characters. I was drawn into the fast moving plot at once and wanted more even after surprising information surfaces and the novella comes to an end. I feel there's more to the story and wanted more, but the author gives us a reason to pause and consider what we know by concluding the story the way she does. I hope to see more works by this talented author.

Always leave 'em wanting more! I also enjoyed the following review, although I thought that if the reviewer had been American, s/he would have given it at least one more star... (I say that only because I've had more than one British professor/lecturer and they were all stingy with praise, calling you "mostly good" when you were the top of the class.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Odd story but leaves you thinking!!April 25, 2011
This review is from: Tree/House: A Novella (Paperback)
I read this novella with an open mind but others that I know that have read it previously have found it odd. 

The story centres around Emma following the death of her husband Franklin. It borders on fantasy in my opinion and is told in three parts. The story lets you draw your own conclusions and I've got a theory on it but I don't want to divulge it as it might spoil your perception of it. 

If you like a quirky story that will make you think then this is just the book for you.

Call me a hopeless academic, but I'm thrilled to have given the world a book that makes the reader think! Of course, I'm dying to know what this reviewer's "theory" is, and I hope one day that s/he will answer my question on that matter. (If you're seeing this, please write to me!)

I don't know either of these reviewers personally, and they had no stake in promoting my little book, so there's really no more honest source of opinion. This kind of surprise gift from my readers is the number one thing that "sets my heart aflutter." There is no better feeling for a writer. Thank you!

I'm not doing as well, star-rating-wise, on Goodreads. I'm all for freedom of opinion and the expression thereof, but it's sad to see a couple of readers put only two stars on my darling book. If you have a Goodreads account, please be so kind as to stick a few more stars on Tree/House. I'll love you forever for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment