Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Second Sweet Saturday

Sweet Saturday Samples is the best idea I've seen in a long time and I thank the organizer very much. I'm doing something very not sweet on Sundays, so I appreciate the chance to balance my karma on the webs.

This sweet snippet is from "Club Love," one of the stories making their published debut in Threads Woven and Other Stories for Women (see here for cover voting and contest, ends Monday!). The entire book is PG-13, with only one story ("Justine") dropping a well-earned f-bomb and containing a comedy murder. All the other stories are safe G to PG content. Enjoy!

* * *
         “Club Ai,” the sign said. The letters were much more modest than the other tacky billboards in that part of town. Even though it almost looked tasteful, Meredith was bewildered.
“Another club? That’s all I need to make me happy?”
“Try it, you’ll like it,” said Verity, and this time she was telling the truth.
The cover was fifty dollars, which made Meredith hesitate. Verity was so self-assured that she paid for them both, and Meredith’s curiosity became uncontrollable.
“What is this place!” she gasped when they walked into a large ballroom with red wallpaper and lights all along the ceiling. In the center of the room was a huge chandelier of sparkling crystals, and in the corners were tasteful statues of Greek gods and goddesses. Most strange, however, was the row of fifty men standing at attention, waiting for something.
They bowed and smiled widely, and most of them said, “Good evening, madam,” or “You’re looking lovely tonight,” or something similar. They all wore suits or tuxedoes in various colors as though this were the most important night of their lives.
Verity squealed with excitement and grabbed the man on the front end of the line by the arm. “Have fun!” she said to Meredith, and her man gently led her by the arm to a table isolated from the other couples already there. Meredith did not see her again that night.
         Meredith looked up and down the long row of undeniably attractive men, nervously. She felt odd. She felt like she was taking advantage. She felt like those men who came to her for someone to talk at. She shuddered, and suddenly one of the men in particular caught her eye.


* * *
I can't read the samples on Saturday itself because that day is sacred spend-time-with-the-hubby day, but I promise to catch up when he goes back to work! Thanks for dropping by here! 
Also in Nook

6 comments:

  1. :-) Intriguing snippet! LOL. I want to read on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what brought those men to that club? Especially the one that caught her eye. I want to hear his story. Very nice excerpt.

    Here my SSat: http://diannehartsocksalex.wordpress.com/sweet-saturday/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder what's really going on in this club? Hmmm. Intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That snippet definitely has me intrigued

    ReplyDelete
  5. With a story named "Club Love" things definitely come to mind! But as it's PG, I guess there's a little more to it. I love that the men are all in tuxes! I'd pay my fifty bucks for an evening there. :) More please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting sample! Intriguing concept! Thanks for sharing.

    Marsha Ward
    Writer in the Pines

    ReplyDelete