Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday Wedding

A magic circle is immortalized in stone alongside the cathedral in Arcos de la Frontera, Spain.
Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

Hello, Six Sentence Sunday fans! Here's the long-awaited wedding clip!

I did a bit of research, but we just don't know much about tenth-century weddings beyond the fact that it wasn't yet a sacrament, so it wouldn't have taken place inside the church. I guess it was going to be another thousand years before Bride Magazine could immortalize all these great traditions.

So, as we know, doña Lambra is really nervous, and her perceptions of the ceremony are clouded by the sinking feeling she can't shake. They're standing in a magic circle in the middle of the cathedral square because the last time I was in Arcos de la Frontera, I saw what was supposed to be a pre-Christian ritual circle where they performed some kind of blessing or cleansing before a child was baptized inside the cathedral.

* * *
Doña Lambra saw the face of Count García smiling and shouting, and, blurrier, all seven of the the noble knights of Lara with their father, mother, and tutor. Someone threw a veil over Lambra's head, and then Ruy Blásquez stepped into the circle with a sure foot. The Count of Castile was addressing the crowd in a voice that had as much meaning for Lambra as the twittering of birds.

The first words she heard clearly came from Ruy Blásquez's mouth. "I receive you as mine, so that you become my wife and I your husband."

Doña Lambra's chest was rising and falling so dramatically she could see it out of the corner of her eye, but she still couldn't feel the air passing inside her.
* * *

Thanks so much for your views and comments. I appreciate them and take them to heart, so much.

Please take a look at Friday's post for the Big Announcement! Thanks for looking.

30 comments:

  1. I hope she doesn't pass out! I could feel the nerves :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor girl! She sounds so overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy. Hope she's alright?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this six! Very realistic sense of her nervousness. Pulled me right in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sure is jittery - ah - did they still celebrate the first night of marriage? She sounds too frightened to perform....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful six, I was holding my breath for her. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent description. I agree that she sounds very overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She sounds totally overwhelmed in a daunting moment! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope, though nervous, she will make it through the ceremony without passing out. That might not reflect well about her husband! Great six.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the way you describe the nervousness of her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. she's nervous. I think she should run :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. In the 12th century it was still outside the church... I think they moved inside in the 13th! :-)
    Great snippet!
    (said the writer who is working on a 12th century historical she'll eventually post for SSS)
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know... the Wife of Bath had five "husbands at church door." So getting closer to the sanctuary, but not in it yet. When they moved it inside probably varies by location. I don't think marriage was a sacrament until the Council of Trent or something like that -- too late for me to have a firm handle on it. Okay I'll stop being medieval geeky now. Thanks for stopping by, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great description of her nerves. I really like the way you phrased the "I receive you as mine..."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I'm weith Eleri, that line really grabbed me...the ownership that the words imply. No wonder she's frightened. Great six.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd be kinda freaked out too... Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Poor Lambra! Doesn't sound like she's too happy to be received as his.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You must have done tons of research, and it shows in your detail. Really interesting. I can definitely feel Lambra's unease.

    ReplyDelete
  19. PS: Thanks for posting your comment on my Six too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. sigh, very romantic. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I guess they didn't have Valium then, either? Great job of showing her anxiety and nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Terrific six. You can feel her anxiety and I love the history. Patricia Preston.

    ReplyDelete
  23. She's got wedding jitters for sure! Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting. I was ground in the setting and could feel her turbulent emotions! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great description, I especially like "much meaning for Lambra as the twittering of birds". And I really feel her panic. Great 6!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Poor Lambra. I liked the line about the birds too, and love the bit you posted about your research.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loved this snippet, really enjoyed the whole scene... poor love, she seems really nervous! xx fab six!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good physical descriptors of nervousness! Really heightens the stress of the situation.

    ReplyDelete