Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday Medieval Feast

Thanks to everyone who stops by, and especially you great commenters! You're fabulous! See other wonderful excerpts here at the new site.

This is to make up for my husband's working on Memorial Day (i.e., no barbecue!). The scene is at an outdoor banquet just days before the wedding we saw doña Lambra get swept into week before last. The innkeeper offers her a choice of the cuts of a freshly roasted bull with her future husband (who is not one of the masculine lineup from three weeks ago, but their uncle) looking on beside her.

* * *
She studied the mound of steaming meat, which was smothered in a parsley, fennel, and red carrot sauce made more red with beet juice that whetted her appetite at her very core. "I'll have the tail," she stated.

"Really, my lady?" the innkeeper asked as he used both carving knife and fingers to dig through the pile in search of the piece. Finding the tail, he said, "It doesn't have much meat on it."

"I don't mean that tail," she said. "I mean the other ones."
* * *

If you swing by next Sunday, you'll catch a glimpse of the actual wedding ceremony.

This week, Monday and Wednesday: the incomparable Lauryn Allison Lewis and her The Beauties. Friday: the biggest announcement in Famous Writer history!

38 comments:

  1. I'm curious to know his reaction. LOL Nice six.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I wasnt expecting that. I'd love to read on and see exactly what tails, and the reactions of those around her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what his reaction will be?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That got my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! (From the getting ready for the wedding scene, I thought she was much meeker. Glad to see she isn't!)

    And, btw, love "Famous Writer"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last two sentences took me totally by surprise. I'd like to see a continuation of this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the pic! - the meat sounds delicious - I'll leave the tail til the end

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sassy! What will he say/do now? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LMAO..fab six! Left me wanting more, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. *giggle* Nice to have options!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Excellent teaser, now I have to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great details of the meal plus the snap at the end very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm curious about which tail she's refering to

    ReplyDelete
  14. The 'other' tails?! I'm almost frightened to find out what she means.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum. Wait. Ewwww. Wait. Yum.

    Ha! It's fun and I love the setting for your work. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too funny, and I love the illustration.
    I'm not posting an SSS comment this week, but you can visit my blog anyhow: Sandy's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. What kind of tail are we talking about here? ;) Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL! Fabulous zinger! Loved your six.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd love to see the innkeeper's reaction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely left wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, that was a surprise! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great comeback after the tempting description of the food! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. Niiiiice LOL. I want to see what her fiance thinks!

    Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad to see the heroine showing spirit. Excellent surprise and and hook into the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome! May her appetite be quenched! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  26. The other tails? Not sure what that means, lol. Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  27. An unexpected twist in the "tail"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. So nice to see a medieval woman get what she really wants! Great six!

    ReplyDelete