Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Six Sentences for Your Rhinoceros Pleasure (Newly Published Today!)


Thanks for all the comments last Sunday! I can tell there are a lot of people out there wonderful enough to read Sail To Italy! Those of you who indicated that they would like to be in the drawing for a free pdf have been thrown into the hat. There's still time to throw your name in, too: drawing takes place April 20. Just mention here that you'd be only too thrilled to get a free pdf of Sail To and Sail From Italy in your inbox, and Fate will roll her dice.

Today I've got a happy rhino (one of the sisters from the Phoenix zoo) because it's the release day of my flash fiction piece, "A Business Venture in Glue," in Stanley the Whale. I've written about my love for this piece and problems finding someone else who appreciates its quirks on this blog before. So I won't prattle on about it today, except to say that I'm honored by Stanley the Whale's acceptance, especially since I've really liked some of the pieces they've had in the past. Here are six sentences from it to tempt you into looking at the whole magazine.

* * *


“Hey!” I cried from my place on the edge of the highway. I ran toward him. “What did you do to that beautiful animal?”
He rolled his eyes at me, then held out his hand.
“The rhino’s fine, see?”
I peered into the lines of his hand. 


* * *

Update 5:20 pm Arizona Time: It's finally up! Click on this link to read the whole thing! I'll be sure to let you know when it's out in print. Thanks for stopping by.

Tomorrow: Sail To Italy! (Refer to last Sunday for six sentences from it.)

25 comments:

  1. Interesting. I wonder what it is she sees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The lines of his hand" = she can read palms? Excellent! Also, I copy edit by day, so it was a joy to see someone (presumably someone who's writing American English) use "toward" instead of "towards." Can't tell you how many times I have to fix that in books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting six! I have lots of questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice snippet, like the last sentence about the lines on the hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm, interesting. intriguing. What the heck is going on?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I want to see the before and after for this. What he did to get her riled and what she sees. Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a rhino by the side of the road? I am intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A rhino by the side of the road? Safari perhaps? Very interested! Want to know more :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm. What's in his hand? Interesting! Congrats on Stanley the Whale.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops, i apologize. I don't know what time zone the editor is in, but this piece isn't up yet. Please check back later to see what's going on. I'm sure it will be there by tomorrow at the latest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonder what she's supposed to see...you've drawn me in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. An intriguing excerpt! I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. palm reading, how interesting. I love the lines, and the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mm, intriguing snippet. Definitely makes you curious for more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice and wonderfully interesting and yes, I agree with Vivian. Thanks so much for using "toward" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Palm reading and rhinos? Very fun! Nice six.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, there is a lot going on here! I definitely need to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You always choose the most mysterious 6!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is it palm reading, or does he have something in his hand? Ack, now I have to know!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Suspenseful six! A rhino, a highway and lines on the palm...have to read on to put it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome, nice tease :) I love Rhinos, but what I really want is a baby cow. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is weird - what the heck is going on?!

    ReplyDelete