Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Sunday, April 1, 2012

SSS: Maybe She's Crazy...

I've been participating in Six Sentence Sunday (follow the link for more mind-blowing excerpts) for an entire year. It's done wonders for my blog in ways I never imagined. Thank you to the organizers and the participants!

These six follow on in Chapter Six of The Seven Noble Knights of Lara several pages after last week's. The seven, their mother, and doña Lambra have agreed to travel to Barbadillo, ostensibly to see if there is any good hunting. We're inside Lambra's head, on the road.

* * *


The second day, as they entered narrow passageways between rocky outcrops shaded by pines, the seven brothers surrounded Lambra on their horses as if they were her personal guard. She looked at the wispy brown hairs moving with the breeze on the back of Gonzalo’s neck and imagined using a shining copper razor to get rid of that ridiculous stubble on his chin, holding the smoothed face in her hands, bringing the round red lips toward hers. No: not even finishing the friendly shave before – accidentally, of course – making a sudden strategic slit under his ear, all the way across to the other ear.
She cleared her throat and said loudly for Gonzalo to hear, “Oh, Justa, do you think there are robbers hiding in these hills? It’s doesn’t matter anyway, with my nephews here to protect me.”
Every one of the brothers grinned, baring white teeth, and sat up a little taller in his saddle. 

* * *

Thanks for stopping by! I have eternal gratitude for those who comment!

I may be taking a short hiatus from SSS in the rest of April, for reasons that I hope will be really great. Stay tuned.

23 comments:

  1. She's having some dark thoughts, there (slitting his throat).

    Wonderful snippet, and I love the picture you've used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not such a friendly shave. Lambra's such an interesting character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw your blog title after reading your sentences and it made me laugh. She has very conflicting ideas about Gonzalo, hey? I like how she plays with the men's pride too. She's quite the lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lambra is quite a woman, isn't she? I loved this. The way you've described it, it feels so real. And that is a truly gorgeous picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome six ~ you definitely have a way with words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plotting assassination - accidental of course - always good fun!

    I've been reading your blog. That's good fun too :) Here's a [[hug]] belatedly for Hug a Medievalist Day. I wish I'd known about that at work in the Museum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. She's quite the lady! Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful six! It made me want to know more about Lambra.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's a devil in disguise. Fascinating six!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, the shaving bit was a nice, vivid twist. She is definitely no stranger to political intrigue and manipulation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome six! I wasn't expecting that shaving twist. Very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just started participating in Six Sentence Sunday so I'm having all sorts of fun checking out the blogs...I love the shaving twist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice. Love the setting details slipped into action.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice description on the shaving piece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shaving and aborted kiss, but what a way to 'twist' the razor, lol.
    Love the six.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice six, I like the way she went from desirous of him to violent. I wonder which dream will come true ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting twist. I so didn't see her thoughts going in that direction. And I love the picture. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the lyricism in the voice of this, it just flows so well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. She's a cut above crazy. This is slicingly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That picture is gorge. Even more so when you think about the dark, murderous thoughts she's having!

    ReplyDelete