Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Monday, December 10, 2012

Interview with Multi-Lingual Author Marta Merajver-Kurlat



I'm very excited to to have Marta Merajver-Kurlat on my blog today. She is a world-traveling, widely-read author who does what many only dream of. She writes in not one language, but two: Spanish and English.

JK:  How did you come to write in both languages? Do you draw from the literature of both traditions? 

MMK: I draw from the world’s literature, not just from these two traditions. I read in Spanish, English, Italian, French, German, and Portuguese. When it comes to Russian, Japanese, Hungarian, or other literatures, I prefer to read English translations. Writing in both languages is second nature to me. The interesting thing is that, in full agreement with Saussure, I believe that language shapes thought rather than the other way about, so my style accompanies the language of choice. 


JK: I find that to be true, too. Did your background growing up encourage your international focus?

MMK: I was born and raised in Buenos Aires, Argentina. After graduating as a translator, I spent a couple of years studying and working in Europe and the U.S. Having earned a degree in English Language and Literature, I traveled extensively until I decided to start a teaching career in my city of origin. When my son began primary school, I enrolled at the School of Psychology, University of Buenos Aires, and was soon engulfed by the psychoanalytic bias that was then predominant. My interests and studies are multifaceted: I have a passion for myth and history among other things and, already retired from institutional teaching and teacher training activities, I conduct private seminars and courses for lovers of literature and for psychoanalytic institutions.

JK: What kinds of books do you write, and who are they for? 

MMK: I have published fiction and non-fiction. My novels are intended for an audience interested in the darker aspects of human nature. My non-fiction includes a series called Bibliotreatment, which targets any John, Dick, and Harry in need of practical solutions to psychological problems. Although it might be called a self-help series, the radical difference between these books and others of the same genre lies in the fact that I do not propose perfect bliss through hackneyed recipes. Thus it would be fair to say that Bibliotreatment seeks an intelligent audience willing to find out what is ailing them and unafraid to come across deep psychic wounds that need healing.

JK: Does this interest in psychology extend to your fiction?

MMK: All of my fiction is based on real life. Just Toss the Ashes, the English version of Gracias por la muerte, deals with suicide. Los gloriosos sesenta y después tells the story of a multinational chamber orchestra touring the world under the sponsorship of an Argentinian military dictatorship. My point in this book was to show that not every youngster in the 1960s was either a hippy or a guerrilla. There were millions of others involved in living, learning, dreaming, and pursuing goals. No one seems to have written about them, so I took the challenge. El tramo final narrates life in an old people’s home, showing the inter and intrarelationships among inmates, their families, and their caregivers. In each case, the atmosphere and language are unique and suited to the story. The characters, though fictionalized, are based on real people.

JK: The dreaded question for every author: What is your favorite book?

MMK: This is a tough question. I have lots of favorite books, but if I must choose one, the answer is definitely Tolkien’s Silmarillion. Not that it has influenced my writing, since I have not created a cosmogony… yet.

JK: Ah, so we have something to look forward to! What else influences your work? 

MMK: I guess that, in an unconscious manner, every book I’ve read influences my work in some way or other. My own life experience is a strong influence as well. Early exposure to so many different cultures, lifestyles, and experiences has undoubtedly marked me in a very special way.

JK: In general, what is your inspiration? What was the specific inspiration for your most recent project?

MMK: My inspiration is the world around me, a world that may prove so unlikely that I sometimes discard ideas for fear that they might sound overly artificial. Reality beats fiction more often than one is ready to admit. My most recent project, in fact, a work in progress, is a novel about a woman and the men in her life. It was specifically inspired by the gender issues that are so much discussed nowadays, and by my perception that not all feminists practice what they preach.


JK: Do you have a favorite word?

MMK: I do, but it’s not a word I use often in my writing: compassion. I expect this word to come to the reader’s mind naturally, through a process of empathy with the story and characters.

JK: How do you use language to differentiate your characters? 

MMK: Like real people, my characters have an idiolect, to which I stick so that they are recognizable even when they are not named. Regarding the settings, because I’m well acquainted with the ones I choose, I use descriptive language sparsely, so as to provide a clear picture with the utmost economy. It’s in the narrative and descriptive parts that I sometimes indulge in metaphor, metonymy, or other tropes. But I hate linguistic “fluff,” so I don’t inflict it on my readers.

JK:  How much time a day do you devote to fiction writing? What is your work area like? Do you have any methods that might seem unusual or inspiring to other writers? 

MMK: The time I devote to my fiction is rather erratic. When I’m not involved in translation projects, I am glued to my computer and don’t keep count of the hours as long as the writing flows. But I also write in snatches, sitting at a café in the sun, between classes, whenever something comes to my mind and I don’t want to lose it. This shows that I’m not methodic. If I may inspire other writers, it will be through the finished product, for my writing process is rather chaotic!

JK: When and why did you get started writing? What characteristics from your first efforts survive today?

MMK: I started writing in my teens, but it was a game then, although my mother, an extraordinary writer herself, encouraged me to take it seriously. The reason was an attraction to language as I saw it deployed in the books I read and in my mother’s works. I found that the written word was so much more forceful than verbal exchanges. I took it seriously in my early thirties, when I published a series of children’s stories that my husband and I devised to amuse our child. I never stopped, but when my publisher was closed down by one of our military dictatorships, I made no further efforts to publish until 2005, when Just Toss the Ashes was finished. I’d say that the only characteristic that survived was the passion.

JK: What kind of feedback do you get? Are your family and friends supportive?

MMK: Very positive feedback, particularly from my publisher, unknown readers who write to me, and colleagues from my writing groups. I don’t think I have a fan base, probably because I have done practically nothing in that respect. Until very recently, I didn’t have a website, never visited my FB page, and had not requested an Amazon author page. I must thank my colleagues for insisting that I needed visibility. They were right, of course, but it took a while to overcome my resistance. My very small family is extremely supportive, and so are my friends. In all truth, these are my fans.

JK: Thank you so much for sharing your work with us today.

Find out more about Marta's books at her website and blog.

Or check out her latest book, Reading for Personal Development.

35 comments:

  1. Well done Jessica on securing an interview with such a transcendent scholar - Marta is incredibly accomplished and writes like a dream - I am so thrilled to see her interview here, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PJ, thank you for your words. Every time you "muse" I learn something about my own writing. That is invaluable, and I fully appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Marta, I am always inspired by your interviews. Marta has always shown care and encouragement to all writers. Any book that Marta writes is worth reading.
    Jessica you have done a superb and informative interview with a great author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, I'm only giving back a little of what I've received. I'm infinitely grateful to you for your encouragement and trust.

      Delete
  3. Marta, love your interview, your honesty, openness, and sharing.
    Since I popped in first, I'm going to snatch up the #1fan title. I know you have many more than you realize, but I'm the #1.
    Since I've already read Just Toss the Ashes, I'm going to order The Final Stretch and see if I love it as much, which I am quite sure I will.
    Thanks for writing your wonderful stories for your fans to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, to have a writer such as you as my #1 fan is quite a responsibility! I hope never to disappoint you :)

      Delete
  4. A marvelous and engaging interview. The questions are creative and provocative. The answers are so strong, beautifully colored with intellect, clarity, passion, and even some vulnerability. I would love to see "Los gloriosos sesenta" and "El tramo final" translated into English. I would order them in a heartbeat. I am the kind of reader Marta writes to. Having read "Just Toss the Ashes," I look forward to any novel she writes in English. No fluff, but a lot of depth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linnea, thank you so much for your thoughtful comments.You have the gift of making me want to be a better person and a better writer, especially when I read your matchless poems.

      Delete
  5. Hi,
    The most engaging part of this interview, or better said, the sentences that struck my heart strings the most were and let me quote them here, "My inspiration is the world around me, a world that may prove so unlikely that I sometimes discard ideas for fear that they might sound overly artificial. Reality beats fiction more often than one is ready to admit." These sentences reveal the reality that fiction written from the alternative world of an author, who dares to write what could be, will change people's outlook about situations or events going on around them, and maybe they will see these things in a different light, but as you have also said, this type of world presented by an author may seem so artificial that the author lets his or her own fears keep them from writing the picture as he or she sees it from their own alternative world perspective.

    Thus, the more I read those sentences the more they stood out, because they say a lot about you as a person. So thank you. It was a pleasure to learn more about you the person as I glean out of this interview the tiny nuggets of gold you offered about who you are.
    Shalom,
    Pat Garcia

    To Jessica,
    May I say you have done an excellent job on interviewing Marta Merajver Kurlat.
    Your question about using language to differentiate her characters and the question concerning Marta's inspiration breathe life into the interview and gave Marta the covering she needed to relax and reveal some of her inner thoughts.
    Great job.

    Shalom,
    Pat Garcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I am deeply touched by your reflections about my words. There is much depth in your analysis, as always, for which I'm deeply thankful. I feel strong in that you will never let me stray.

      Delete
  6. Marta, I found this interview to be as fascinating as your life.I believe thinking, and writing in several languages may be the key to your outstanding talent as a writer--creating a passion for what lies within all the miriad layers of this thing called life.I look forward to your book.I am honored to be your friend and colleague.

    Love, Micki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Micki, I am humbled. To read such praise from you is probably more than I deserve, but it is also an incentive to persevere in my endeavors.

      Delete
  7. Marta, you are like a slowly opening flower which keeps revealing more and deeper colour. I am so interested in how you came to be where and what you are today, my friend. Congratulations on sticking to your own inner voice and doing what you needed to in spite of the political world around you. We should all be so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement, Elaine. I guess the very obstacles I had to overcome made me what I am. Knowing that I can always count on your wisdom is no small blessing.

      Delete
  8. Lovely interview. Marta is someone I look up to, I admire her accomplishments and her talents. I am very blessed to call her my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, it's my privilege that we are friends. You are an admirable woman and a gifted writer.

      Delete
  9. A fascinating interview that packs some profound ideas into a relatively short exchange. Thanks, Marta, for introducing me to Saussure; I too agree that language shapes thought, and I've always been drawn to the written word. Your work sounds most intriguing; I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, thank you for pointing to the ideas. A lot of my work is around for the asking, exception made of the two novels that are awaiting translation. But my WIP is in English and coming out soon, so Just Toss the Ashes will have an interlocutor.

      Delete
  10. Good interview which opens us more to the world of Marta.
    I'll quote what has caught my eyes: "I do, but it’s not a word I use often in my writing: compassion. I expect this word to come to the reader’s mind naturally, through a process of empathy with the story and characters."
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arik, my world is the whole world. I just pick on fractals for the sake of composition. Thank you for highlighting that sentence. The concept is very dear to me.

      Delete
  11. Thank you Jessica for your concise and original questions and huge thanks dear Marta for being yourself once again: generous, unassuming,incorruptible. I am deeply moved at seeing you flourish as a wholesome public figure and a very engaging author. Congratulations! LOVE from Norma Benesdra

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest Norma, how can I thank you for over fifty years of friendship? We've lived and learnt together, and much of what I am started and bloomed during our exchanges.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marta, as close as we have become in this vitual world of ours, it is surprising to me that I had missed this interview. What a wonderful way to gain additional insight not only into your writing but also you as a person. Your world does indeed sound fascinating totally without any boundaries of language. That is one area if I had time for 'do overs' would be to study different languages. Your accomplishments are truly wonderful and I look forward to learning even more about you but most importantly reading your books.

    Jessica, I sensed Marta relaxing as you posed questions that targeted her writing but allowed her to make personal connections. Great interview! Thank you for providing an opportunity to get to know Marta a little better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sharla, it's my fault because I haven't posted to "our" virtual world yet. Thank you so much for your comments and for every piece of beauty you so generously share with your wonderful sense of aesthetics.

      Delete
  14. Soy el sobrino de Marta, y la verdad no la conozco en ese rol de escritora. Sabia que escribia, pero leyendo estos comentarios, estoy descubriendo cosas que no conocia de ella. Sin ninguna duda empezare a leerla, y quizas en un tiempo me merezca el puesto de su fan numero 1...

    I am Marta´s nephew, and honestly I don´t know her in her role as writter. I was aware of her writting, but I didn´t know much more than the titles of her books. Now, reading these comments, I am finding out things about her I didn´t know. I will undoubtedly start reading her work (I hope it wont be hard for me to get them...), and maybe in a while I will deserve the #1 fan title...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear nephew, I'm delighted to see you here! In our family we don't brag about our work, and thank God for that. Now, disputing the #1 fan title with Pat will be a problem :)
      Would you settle for #2?
      Love you bunches,
      Auntie

      Delete
  15. It has been an honor to interview Marta, one of the best subjects I have ever had. Thanks so much to everyone for their comments and appreciation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jessica,
    Thank you for chosing Marta as a featured author. You have done an excellent job showing her talents as a humble conversationalist and worthy writer.

    Marta,
    I thank you for crossing my path and providing your ever gentle wisdom to the conversations we become involved in. I cannot add much more to the accolades posted here. Your continued success is something you share with all those who care about you. As Jim Sellers mentioned, I look for to the english translations in the upcoming year for "Los gloriosos sesenta" and your second on life of those who grow old.

    Hugs to you Marta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Liz,
      It's all of you who care about me that make me feel successful in what matters most: friendship and warm feelings.
      About the rest, time will tell :)
      Love you!

      Delete
  17. Marta, wonderful interview. It shows once again the depth of your thinking and writing. It is clear why you have become an inspiration and mentor to many writers. In a world where many with little to say speak loudly, you have much to say but speak quietly. Thanks for who you are and what you do. The world of literature grows a little richer every day because of you.

    And thank you Jessica for being an ideal interviewer. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, thank YOU for your constant encouragement. I'm not sure that the world of literature is influenced by what I do -it's a vast ocean that drowns voices much worthier than mine- but I'm happiest in having reached sensitive ears such as yours.

      Delete
  18. I enjoyed the interview. You are honest and talented. Eugenia Renskoff, author of Different Flags

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you, Eugenia. You are a most talented colleague whom I respect and admire!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marta is the kind of person we feel we are blessed to know, even with limited interaction caused by physical and cultural distance! Reading this highly engaging interview just proved what I've already discerned: Marta is a compassionate, creative, intelligent woman with the talent of the few authors who stand the test of time.

    Now let's show our love by writing reviews of everything we've read!

    ReplyDelete