Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday: What a Disaster of a Wedding

We're starting again right where we left off in my WIP The Seven Noble Knights of Lara, in the middle of Gonzalo's sassy speech after he's been severely wounded by his uncle, the groom at this ill-fated wedding:

* * *

Swiveling once again, tottering precariously, he continued, "But Uncle, for the sake of your love for me, I beg you not to hit me again, because you couldn't suffer the consequences."

Ruy Blásquez raised his lance once again, over doña Sancha's protests, but this time Gonzalo was able to dodge the blow so that it hit his shoulder and did not cut him, but broke in two. Taking advantage of Ruy Blásquez's surprise, Gonzalo seized the goshawk from his brother Suero's arm and, screaming with the bird at the slicing of its talons into his arm, forced it into his uncle's face. The bird struck out with its beak in indignation. Sancha cried, "Stop!" but before Suero intervened to coax the agitated hawk back onto his protected hand, Ruy Blásquez's nose had begun to bleed copiously.

At the sight of her husband's blood, doña Lambra began to look around her.

* * *

Thank you for coming by and for commenting! I appreciate what you have to say very much, as these snippets have a lot more editing to go through. The other amazing snippets are to be found here.

31 comments:

  1. This is the craziest wedding. Period. I love these sixes, though, Jessica. I'm thoroughly entertained and concerned for Sancha. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very intense. I got really into the moment and wished I could read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I'd want to be at this wedding, lol. Fab snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice Sunday morning smack-down with the uncle. I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bloodletting has no end it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very vivid six! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh - great imagery. I didn't want it to end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well it's certainly a wedding to remember. Very visual. Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep on forgetting this is a wedding! Poor Lambra.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's like your painting with words, a fantastic scene, so vivid. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been following this nutty, violent wedding all along with avid interest. So good. But I have to admit that this six was a little confusing for me. And the last sentence seemed a little week. At the sight of her husband's blood, I want Lambra to do more than begin to look around!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh! This is turning into one heck of a wedding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is only my second week reading these snippets from the wedding, but I don't think I'm going to forget it any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Certainly this is the wedding from hell! Loved the use of the hawk as a weapon. Very nice touch. (Though one wonder why you would bring a hawk to a wedding! I guess it was for the games.) Another great six!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Taryn, they only allow six sentences, hon. Tune in next week for Lambra's actions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This wedding is turning into the wedding from hell.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving these snippets. But I agree, Lambra should be screaming, pummeling someone, doing more than looking, especially if we're in her POV.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love each snippet. Almost feel as if I'm seeing it too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Strong on description! One oddball wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been to some unusual weddings but this one tops them all! Lots of action.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my. It just keeps getting better and better. Fantastic action!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Worst. Family. Gathering. Ever. *grin*

    ~Xakara
    A Way To A Dragon's Heart 6SS

    ReplyDelete
  23. Did he just attack someone with a bird? That was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is one wedding the guests will never forget. Crazy town!! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This certainly beats an ordinary fist fight at a wedding LOL

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow. If they had a wedding planner, she'd probably killed herself by now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the underlying threat in the opening lines. For an instant it sounds like he's begging, and then you realize he isn't.

    ReplyDelete