Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Sunday, August 28, 2011

SSS: Will Young Gonzalo See Reason?

A pageant of Los Siete Infantes in Castrillo de la Reina, Spain.
In such a situation as I've been posting these several weeks, nobody's in the right. But Gonzalo isn't quite ready to admit any wrongdoing (following from last week):

* * *


 “Gonzalico, you’re half dead and there must be a hundred of them!” his oldest brother Diego tried to reason with him.
Crouching close to his ear, Fernando González, told his youngest brother, “Don’t you think it’s unpardonable to have caused such a scene at our uncle’s wedding?” 
But even as he was unable to keep his own feet under him, Gonzalo shook his head and tried to wield a sword. Doña Sancha threw her hands up in despair. The clattering soldiers crushing in upon them, she looked to her husband. With a nod toward her, don Gonzalo Gustioz took his youngest son into his arms and kept him from falling, from grasping at weapons, or even from speaking.


* * * 

UPDATE: Yes, father and son have the same name. "-ico" is a diminutive for the younger one. All the brothers have the last name "González" because it's a patronymic. The elder (don) Gonzalo's father was Gustio, hence his patronymic "Gustioz." I'll put together a family chart and post it next week for anyone who's interested to come and see!

Thanks so much for the encouragement last week! This week I'm not sure about (what's new?), so as always, I appreciate comments.

Check out the new excerpt page for this WIP in the upper left!

I'll be taking a break from SSS in September to celebrate my anniversary and to devote more time to writing and my editing job. We'll see how long I can stay away. Please look for me in October!

And the other wonderful sixes are here.

16 comments:

  1. This is one wedding nobody will ever forget! Great six.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many similar names. A little confused about who's who! But still intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lull in the crazy wedding? Can't wait to find out who's left standing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another exciting and intriguing excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder how many guests will survive this wedding?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the craziness is winding down. Are both father and son named Gonzalo/Gonzalico?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will be a wedding I won't forget any time soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You gotta admire Gonzalico's fighting spirit, even if you doubt his judgment and sanity. LOL! I'll miss your madcap wedding. Have a wonderful Sept.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Lord, this has turned from Jerry Springer to MMA. I'll definitely miss this next month!

    Also, I love the new layout! Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. About time someone took him in hand! But will the fighting stop, I wonder? Probably not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Going to miss this each week. :( But I've enjoyed the wedding immensely. Strange to think but I wonder if it's actually the focus of the story or just the starting point! Whatever it is, it's been great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This wedding sounds like a hoot! LOL Fab six!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is reading like one of those big weddings where all the cast attends in soap operas like The Bold and The Beautiful, and of course, nothing at the wedding goes as planned. :) Great job, Jessica - I can't wait to see the family chart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that is confusing... a chart would help :)

    ReplyDelete