Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Sunday, November 20, 2011

SSS: Shakespearean Drama

Thanks for all the encouragement last week. That's a piece I believe in and won't give up on. Hooray for love!

I have some big news about my magnum opus, Tree/House, to announce at a later date. In preparation, take a look at this emotional scene in which a seemingly random young lady has come to the door to accuse and recriminate the master of the house.

* * *


The young woman stepped inside and looked as quickly around as her furtiveness would allow, then she took Emma by both shoulders and said firmly, “You’re Professor Andrews’ new wife, aren’t you?”
“Yes,” said Emma, shaken.
“I have to say to you, then: “‘Tis not a year or two shows us a man: they are all but stomachs and we all but food. They eat us hungerly, and when they are full, they belch us!’”
She released Emma just as suddenly as she had taken hold of her, and Franklin suddenly lurched out of the Shakespeare library. “Othello, act three, scene four!”


* * *
Nothing like Shakespeare to add drama to your story! Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your comments immensely and if you have a blog, I will return the favor. The other exciting samples are here.

Tree/House, as always, is available here and here. And here.

19 comments:

  1. I feel for Emma, whether the young woman is bitter or if her words ring true. Nice six! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what this woman is all about. A spurned mistress, maybe? Very intriguing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your lines. They always leave me wondering! :-) Great six.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Shakespeare once said, "Methinks the lady doth protest too much." Lots of pace in this six.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice how Franklin lurches out in time to I.D. the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very intricate set up you did with finesse. Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, love the dialogue and love the Shakespearean interruption. What a terrific six!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love this! I love how Shakespeare is woven in there. And the picture is great, too! Love that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol, was wondering what the woman was rambling on about (have only ever read R&J). Great, intriguing snippet!

    Oh, and must say - hurrah, an actual sexy man picture on Six Sunday! (am not a particular fan of the scarily muscular types ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Emma! And you can't ever miss with Shakespeare! And I love the picture! That'll keep me warm while I go outside in 37 degrees to plant my spring bulbs. (I tell myself better late than never!) And at least it's not raining.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great snippet!, I'm ready to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you integrate the line into the story. Masterfully done. Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, love, love, love, love this! Anytime you can get Shakespeare into a romance you have me sold. Can't wait to find out where this is going! Wonderful six!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I'm like Emma now, don't know which way to turn and what to think! Terrific excerpt, really drew me in!

    ReplyDelete