Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Sunday, December 18, 2011

SSS: A Disastrous Marriage

This week, I'm presenting the first six sentences from my now freshly published ode to love, "A Disastrous Marriage." You may remember when I was terribly worried I would never find a publisher for it. I'm sure some of that karma helped speed the piece along. Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments so very much.

* * *


It rained so hard, the wicker baskets were overflowing. Water poured through the ceiling, carrying nails, unrecognizable timbers, and sloppy pink insulation. It was a relief to go outside.
“This isn’t as bad as the time our house burned down in the middle of Death Valley,” said Herbert, standing under the useless awning.
“Why?” I shouted, skeptically, through the pounding roar. 


* * *

You can read the whole thing here! The story of the origin of this piece is here.

Check out all the other great sixes at www.sixsunday.com!

14 comments:

  1. Crikey - this isn't bad? Guess he sees the glass always half full then :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that mental picture, the house is such a mess. Yes, a burned down house is probably worse, but it doesn't feel that bad because it's final.

    I'm not quite sure where the wicker baskets fit into the scene though.

    I missed the list deadline for this week, but I did get six sentences posted! http://kelworthfiles.wordpress.com/2011/12/18/six-sentence-sunday-more-from-children/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting it published. I'm glad somebody "got it." Glad you were able to make lemonade out of your lemon experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having had a house hammered by a major storm the day after we sold it (the week we put it up for sale, which we'd been congratulating ourselves on), I can so relate! And having been married forever, I know that optimism is often what can keep things together. Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness. We all need a bright side kind of guy. I bet he'd watch Pixar movies, too....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Disastrous seems a bit mild. Glad I'm home and dry (though the roof did have a leak)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Herbert has a great outlook! Nice six! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic scene, the pouring rain. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Somehow the comparative perspective isn't cheering. :) Great six.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh. Sounds like a nightmare. Love that he's rating their disasters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeez, the poor couple. How many disasters have they been in? Enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete