Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Second Six Sentence Sunday

This little scene of teen rebellion comes from a work-in-progress about the strange relationship between two sisters. Check out other authors' snippets here. And thanks so much for all the comments last week. To answer the two main questions, yes, of course the rhino talks, and no, it hasn't sold yet. Unbelievable.

* * *


I was almost sorry I hadn’t let [my mother] in on the process. But, no, she had been too preoccupied with washing Beth’s silverware with baking soda to notice my big decision-making saga. 

“Brown is the only university in the country with an Egyptology department.”

“Egyptology?” my parents both intoned.

The dirtiest, germiest, most contaminated subject I could imagine: Mummified bodies, dusty bandages, bones filled with age-old marrow, ancient embalming fluids, canopic jars teeming with the pulsing remains of internal organs. My mother changed my sister’s sheets every day, but these things hadn’t been washed for 5000 years.


 * * *

15 comments:

  1. lol Loved the snippet! Love Egyptology too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds a little twisted, so I'll really like her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greeeeaaaat job on the parents' reaction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! Love the last line. Egyptology is fascinating. Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I LOVE 'Egyptology'...Well, never studied it, obviously, but I devoured all of Elizabeth Peters' novels :) Looking forward to more of this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like her decision-making process. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the humor at the end there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like someone needs to catch up on their laundry.
    Loved the six

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! Love that last line. Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! Love her rebellious nature! I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the parents' reaction - could almost see their faces, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice. Sets the tone, the scene...and pulls in a little relationship history without being pushy.

    ReplyDelete