Subscribe to Jessica's exclusive newsletter

Subscribe to Jessica's newsletter

* indicates required

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday 4

I may have made a mistake with my last six sentences, unintentionally grossing everyone out with some of the scariest imagery in the entire book. I recently decided the rotting corpse dream is the central image of the book, but in my interpretation, it represents Emma getting ready to leave her dull, dead past behind and start to really live -- to experience rebirth, in a way. I've decided to try to redeem Tree/House this week and start at the beginning. Nothing comes before these six sentences, although you'll notice the theme of death already! Someone should write at least a term paper on this...

                    * * *

The funeral procession Emma had always imagined involved slow pallbearers winding through narrow streets, drizzle, and many women in black cloaks choking back their grief.  She had planned in great detail the way Franklin’s cedar coffin would slide into the ground and the way the moist earth would sound as it fell on top. She would carry white lilies and her grandmother would be there to support her should she faint. Maybe she would carry smelling salts. After that, her plans ended abruptly because what does one do after a funeral, after all.

         The true funeral had involved only Franklin’s mother, the servants, and Emma, without lilies. 
                    * * *

Check out the other wonderful participants' excerpts here. Next Sunday, the excerpt that can be gross... if you want it to be...

20 comments:

  1. Very visual. You created a great scene. It pulled me right in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very intrigued by your introduction to this snippet and the snippet itself. I'll be back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very visual, and gives a sense of Emma as a distinct character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful six, you have a lovely way with words

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great!
    Thanks for following my writer's page, by the way!
    Sharon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the scene. both her fantasy and the real one

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great introduction! Now, I wonder why the difference between her fantasy and reality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great use of description! Really liked these six!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a really strong beginning. And that's really too bad about the lilies. They sounded like a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Death's a powerful, universal theme - everyone can relate in some way. Great opening hook, definitely intrigues a reader to keep reading to find out more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I agree with everyone. This is a very strong opener.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How very ... sad! I think. NICE description!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a depressing funeral. Love the imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, a great six and a compelling opening theme. It reminds me of the opening to Her Fearful Symmetry in which the main character dies on page 1. To me, that always spells a reason to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha Ha, I open with a death scene as well so of course I love this :)

    ReplyDelete